Many organisations prefer to upload their user information to Motimate using an encrypted SFTP transfer of their CSV file. There are some key benefits to this method:
- It is highly secure.
- It gives you more control and easier management of a larger number of users.
- It allows you to easily ensure that data in Motimate matches your data source.
- The upload can be automated by your IT department.
- This import method can be combined with manual account management. Users and groups that are imported are marked as imported in the administrator page.
When Motimate receives the new file we grant and revoke access based on the information in the new file. If a new user account is added, it will be added to Motimate, and if a user account is no longer in the file, the user is deactivated in Motimate.
Motimate will also update existing user information and the users group memberships according to the file.
You can watch a video guide on how to upload the CSV using the Filezilla Client, a free open source tool, here:
The import runs in the morning at 04:30 UTC+1. The filename must contain the current date. This means that if you create it prior to midnight UTC+1, make sure it has the the next days date. There are also some other format requirements listed bellow:
- The file extension must be .csv.
- The file must be saved under the account uploads folder.
- The filename must include the date in the following format YYYYMMDD.
- The file is UTF-8 encoded without BOM (Byte order mark).
- The file supports either semicolon ";" or Comma "," as its delimiter.
- The file has all columns and the order is as described in the example spreadsheet (link to that here)
By uploading a file with users to our sFTP server we will import the file and create new users, delete users that are no longer in the file, and make updates to users based on the changes in the file in Motimate once every 24 hours.
Example: Acme Corporation wants to upload users file every day at 22:00. They want to start on January 1st, 2024. Since the importer runs on the morning of next day, the expected filename format must be: /uploads/20240102.csv
If you select this option, please contact email@example.com and we will provide you with with the implementation details for SFTP and CSV imports.